Beading by the Bay, Part 3

The next morning I decided going for a run on the trail would be more exciting than the elliptical trainer in the gym. So, I grabbed my ipod and set out. I was thinking I’m in decent shape since I work out regularly. It turns out I suck at running. I had some romanticized version of jogging along the bay with a nice gentle breeze to keep me cool. Instead, I was sucking wind after 200 yards and trying to keep the pouring sweat from stinging my eyes! I kept up my run/walk for 45 minutes and passed Marcia on the way back. She was gliding along in her shawl so elegantly, and I waved to her even though I looked like a train wreck.

the bayside trail

After a much needed shower, I headed to Marcia’s class. Carousel is so much more amazing in person, and I didn’t really get how the spinner worked until I saw Marcia playing with it on her wrist. Beading in Motion is definitely a concept I want to play with in the future. I chose the purple and teal colorway, but I didn’t use the purple beads on the band. I didn’t realize it until I was running out of blue! Marcia gave me some extra beads, but I haven’t decided if I’m going to redo it or keep going.

my progress on Carousel

The tables in the classrooms are set up in 2 rows with 2 people at each table. We turned ours around to have a table of 4. We all got different colorways, and it was fun to see how each one came together. I confessed that the only reason I went for a run is so I could have 2 desserts at lunch. Yum!

Kathy, Sue, me, and Julie in Marcia's class

Kathy, Sue, and I got brave and decided to venture into the city for dinner. We took a taxi to Haight-Ashbury and met up with Sue’s 2 daughters. We were looking for Italian or seafood, and ended up at the Indian Oven. We ordered a bunch of stuff to share, and I kept asking the waiter to repeat back the order so I could pronounce everything the way he did. We ended the night with organic ice cream and a cramped taxi ride back to the hotel. I fell asleep before I hit the sheets.

I slept in until 8:30a since we lost an hour for the time change. I put my guess in for the giant jar of crystals and cashed out with Susan before heading over to Jean’s class. She was teaching Sakura, and I think it was the piece that intrigued me the most when I was signing up. The spines are sculptural herringbone attached for a braided look but they aren’t actually braided. I love the movement of this piece!

my progress on Sukura

After class, I was so worn out that I wasn’t up to going anywhere. Several beaders had to rush off to catch their flights homes. A group of us decided to have dinner and drinks in the hotel restaurant. I gained serveral new Facebook friends.


Kathy, Sue, and I ended up hanging out and talking until last call. We had a blast and I got some good outside perspective on my business. In my wine haze I had a moment of clarity when Kathy told me it was pretty obvious that if I didn’t do this I would die. It really made me think and come to certain conclusions, but more on that another day.

Closing time

I think I would choose a retreat like this over going to the Bead & Button Show for classes because you get a lot more personal time with the teachers in a more laid back setting. And you can make your own parties, hehe. It was an amazing trip, and I’m definitely going to go again if I can.

{ 4 comments… add one }
  • avatar Kathy March 26, 2011, 8:43 am

    What an incredible experience. I look forward to seeing your work.

  • avatar Mandi Ainsworth March 27, 2011, 9:03 am

    Thanks, Kathy!

  • avatar Mandy March 27, 2011, 9:42 am

    Great posts Mandi! I feel like I was there, maybe I can next year! I loved all the pictures of the folks there, I couldn’t believe that some people actually looked familiar from their blog photos! Glad you had a great time!

  • avatar sue charette-hood July 30, 2011, 10:32 pm

    Hey Mandi
    See the line up for 2012 yet? Are you going?

  • avatar Antony December 17, 2015, 2:05 am

    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Leave a Comment